AUSTIN, Texas – Jan. 11, 2023 – uShip, the fast, easy, and affordable way to transport large items like furniture, vehicles, and freight, announced key 2022 results and the launch of new LTL (less-than-truckload) solutions.
uShip also announced CEO Kris Lamb has stepped down to focus on family medical matters. Chief Operating Officer (COO) Heather Hoover-Salomon assumes the role of interim CEO, while Lamb remains as a senior advisor with the company. uShip expects to name a permanent chief executive by the end of March.
“The uShip Board and I fully support Kris’s decision,” said Jim Martell, executive chairman of uShip’s board of directors. “He’s served uShip incredibly well as CEO since mid-2019, navigating the company through the pandemic, a record 2021, and a profitable 2022.” In all, Lamb has spent five years at uShip, serving as CTO from December 2017 to July 2019 before becoming CEO.
Hoover-Salomon has served as uShip’s COO since July 2019 and, before that, as executive vice president for operations. She is uShip’s longest-tenured employee, joining in 2005 as a public relations and marketing intern.
2022: Year in Review
uShip exited 2022 profitable despite macroeconomic challenges that included inflationary pressures, geopolitical strife, and record-high fuel costs. Key 2022 uShip highlights include:
- 795,000 shipments – or one every 40 seconds – were listed on uShip
- $206 million in gross shipping volume through the uShip marketplace
- 268,000 business shipments were listed on uShip
- 51% of uShip’s revenue came from business shippers, up from 14% in 2020
- uShip Logistics, uShip’s brokerage subsidiary, grew 189% in 2022
- 35,000 active transporters placed at least one bid in 2022
- 240 million miles were covered by uShip’s network of independent providers
- Transporters on uShip earned $135 million, up 5% from 2021
- During 2022, Etsy sellers reached 8,000 all-time large-item deliveries by 2,200 different carriers. Since 2019, sellers have earned more than $100,000 in uShip shipping credits.
2023: New LTL Business Solutions
uShip now gives freight intermediaries the ability to expand their offerings to include LTL and earn revenue in the process. Potential customers can include e-commerce fulfillment, transportation management systems (TMS), multi-carrier parcel management systems, and government surplus organizations. h
- LTL Portal: Through a link on your platform, drive customers to uShip’s LTL marketplace to list, book, and checkout.
- LTL Connect: A hybrid API solution that offers your customers LTL rates, carriers, and services, as well as BOL (bill of lading), billing, and tracking on your site or platform. Shipment details and checkout occur on uShip.
- LTL Direct: An end-to-end API solution that offers your customers rates, booking, payment, and shipment management that mirrors your platform UI/UX.
In December 2022, AscendTMS launched LTL Connect to its more than 50,000 customers. The popular TMS has integrated uShip’s LTL contracted blanket rates and services into its platform. When AscendTMS’s customers, want to book, they finalize details and checkout on uShip.
“Our partnership with uShip allows the tens of thousands of shippers within the AscendTMS platform to add and streamline LTL services to increase their revenue,” said Tim Higham, CEO of AscendTMS. “uShip’s LTL marketplace provides a neutral platform that drives speed and transparent pricing with absolutely no conflict of interest for our joint customers.”
uShip’s LTL marketplace gives businesses access to contracted blanket rates with top nationwide and regional LTL carriers, including 13 of the top 15 by volume (Source: Transport Topics). uShip’s in-house LTL operations team provides support, including freight bill auditing and exception management.
uShip makes it quick, easy, and affordable to ship large or bulky items. From cars to cranes and furniture to freight, our straightforward and transparent platform helps people, businesses, and e-commerce sellers ship with incredible speed and efficiency. Launched in 2004, uShip is based in Austin, Texas. Find out more at uship.com or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn for the latest updates.