uShip, an online shipping marketplace that connects people with customer-reviewed transport companies, has chosen Amsterdam as the location for its new European headquarters.
uShip continues its rapid expansion internationally. The company set up their European headquarters in Amsterdam and announced the appointment of Shawn Bose as the new VP & GM, Global business. In this newly-created position, Bose is managing global strategy, business operations, site implementation, new market evaluation, and potential partnerships and acquisitions.
Amsterdam Area: transportation hub
With 40 % of the European Union’s freight going through Amsterdam, the Amsterdam Metropolitan Area is a natural choice for uShip’s European base. The firm notes that the Amsterdam area offers a strong business climate, favourable tax rules, and a multilingual/multicultural workforce.
In addition, the Dutch road transport industry consists of over 7,500 companies which have collective access to a fleet of 84,000 trucks and trailers.
Five reasons to establish your logistics facility in the Amsterdam area
As a transportation hub, here are five additional reasons for establishing your logistics facility in Amsterdam:
- Over 400 years of logistics expertise; Centuries of experience are embodied in the many companies operating in the Dutch logistics sector today.
- Best logistics performance in Europe; The Netherlands tops the list in European logistics performance (World Bank 2007). The main drivers behind this lead position are its customs performance, infrastructure, skilled, multilingual and flexible workforce.
- Favourable tax climate for the logistics sector; The Dutch tax regime is one of the most differentiated and flexible in the EU and one which stimulates entrepreneurship and foreign investment. Some examples of Dutch taxation, customs systems and procedures specifically related to the logistics sector are: customs-bonded warehousing, VAT-deferment system, and highly- automated customs procedures.
- Easy access to European markets; Amsterdam is situated in the centre of key European markets and is easily accessible by air, land or water.
- Schiphol voted Europe’s best cargo airport Amsterdam Airport Schiphol was recently voted (Cargonews Asia) Best Airport in Europe for the 17th time!
uShip is the first and largest online transport marketplace connecting people and businesses with transporters. Carriers place competitive bids to win business, often filling extra space in their trucks. uShip was launched in 2004 and is a privately-held company of 60 employees, headquartered in Austin, Texas.
Read the article on iAmsterdam.com.